A Security Update has been released for Outlook 2016. It resolves the following vulnerability;
- CVE-2021-31949: Microsoft Outlook Remote Code Execution Vulnerability.
- This vulnerability is currently not publicly disclosed nor exploited.
- The Preview Pane is not an attack vector.
- The Exploitability Assessment is rated: Exploitation Less Likely.
This update contains 1 additional improvement;
- This security update allows the Global Policy Object (GPO) for setting the default signing hash algorithm in Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) to apply to existing security profiles.
Note: This update can be installed via Microsoft Update and updates Outlook to version 16.0.5173.1000. This update does not apply to Perpetual (Retail) and Microsoft 365 based installations of Office 2016.